Palliative care is a medical speciality focusing on expert treatment of the pain, discomfort and stress that can occur with life threatening illnesses. Seriously ill patients receive exceptional care at HRH and we are proud to continue that tradition with our new palliative care program.
- Palliative care makes patients feel better throughout their illness by:
- Vigorously treating symptoms like pain, nausea, fatigue, shortness of breath and depression or anxiety.
- Keeping patients comfortable and as active as possible to they can enjoy life while they are fighting an illness.
- Benefitting patients at all stages of illness, even at the same time they are receiving curative treatments.
- Helping patients and families make difficult decisions about treatments and their goals for care.
- Identifying resources to help outside the hospital and linking patients with those supports.
The Palliative Care Team at HRH includes your physician, nurse practitioners, social workers, chaplains and other health professionals.
Hancock Regional Hospital offers this care as a consultation, in your home or in a special unit staffed with experts in symptom relief and family support.